Hair Transplant: FUE Vs Strip Surgery
- October 23, 2018
- 329 Views
- Dr. YV Rao
A hair transplant surgery can be highly beneficial to someone who wants a thicker growth of hair or wants to cover up a bald spot. But when you consider getting a hair transplant surgery, you will face two options – FUE and Strip Surgery.
Let’s get straight to it!
FUE Vs Strip Surgery
The basis of both the surgeries is that the surgeon extracts hair from a place where there is enough growth of hair (donor area) and plants them when you need more hair (recipient area). Apart from this basic procedure, there are some subtle and salient differences between these two procedures.
- What Are They?
Strip Surgery, also known as, Follicular Unit Transplantation, is a hair transplant procedure, where a strip of hair is removed from the donor area and is transplanted in the recipient area. FUE or Follicular Unit Transfer is a newer hair transplant procedure where each strand of hair, called a hair follicle graft, is extracted individually and transplanted.
The difference between these two methods lies only in the way a hair follicle is extracted. The plantation of the graft in the recipient area is done the same way in both the procedures.
- Which Scars Less?In FUE, each hair follicle is extracted using the ‘punch’ method. Hence, scarring is minimal; it is almost invisible. But in Strip Surgery, since a strip is extracted, a thin, faint scar forms. This is why, during a Strip Surgery hair is only extracted from a place where surrounding hair is thick so that the scar remains hidden. Alternatively, the extraction is strategically made so that the resultant scar blends with the natural crease in your body.
- Which Pains Less?Pain in both the procedures is minimal. If a person feels discomfort, it can be managed with pain medication. However, Strip Surgery will require some form of anaesthesia whereas some patients can go through an FUE without any painkiller.
- Which Looks Better?
The way a hair graft is planted in your recipient area is the same in both FUE and Strip Surgery. Therefore, the final outcome of the surgery does not look any better or worse with either of the techniques. However, as already discussed, Strip Surgery may leave a little scar at the donor area.
But if you are concerned about looks, you may consider the pre-operative conditions. In FUE, hair follicles are taken such that only one follicle is extracted every 2-3 rooted hair. Hence, you will have to shave your head before the surgery. But for Strip Surgery, you will not have to do anything like that.
- Which Gives Better Results?In a Strip Surgery, the cosmetic surgeon manually plants each graft in your donor area under a microscope. This way the plantation is more accurate (95% growth rate) and the chance of survival/success of each graft is more. FUE, on the other hand, uses the punch toll which is not as efficient as an expert (85% growth rate). But this process is much faster.
- Which Lasts Longer?How long your hair transplant will last depends on many factors – like, the expertise of the doctor, your health conditions, your lifestyle choices etc. But it does not depend on the technique used during hair transplantation. In the matter of success, both FUE and Strip Surgery are equally efficient.
- Which Costs Less?FUE is a more time and energy consuming procedure for the surgeon since he needs to do each hair at a time. The cost of FUE is charged per graft basis. The cost of a Strip Surgery is generally estimated before the procedure itself. Having said that, the cost difference between the two procedures is becoming less and less significant. Although, till date, you can expect FUE to cost more.
Even when you have calculated the pros and cons based on the above-mentioned list, you cannot conclusively decide which one would be suitable for you. What kind of transplantation you want (for example, hair transplant, eyebrow transplant, beard transplant etc.) will also determine the technique of your surgery. Generally, Strip Surgery is used when the implant area is larger and FUE is used for a smaller area.
Feel free talk to our surgeons and explain to them your hair transplant needs to get proper advice.
About the clinic:
Dr. Venkata Rao Yalamanchi, is a qualified & certified plastic & cosmetic surgeon in Hyderabad. After his degree in plastic & cosmetic surgery he got trained, extensively in reconstructive, microsurgery & cosmetic surgery at reputed center both in India & abroad. He has eighteen years of experience as plastic & cosmetic surgeon in Hyderabad. His special interest is in Hair transplantation & Cosmetic surgery and has been pursuing these with more dedication.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
January 14, 2019
January 09, 2019
January 01, 2019
December 11, 2018
December 07, 2018
December 04, 2018
November 28, 2018
November 22, 2018
November 20, 2018
November 16, 2018